Spring is here and
it smells like BASEBALL!
This year, The Friends of Mike Farrell are again asking for your generous support. We are so close to our goal of bringing the new batting tunnel to Farrell Field. With your help, we can finish our Batting Tunnel Project, which will benefit so many of our local ball players.
Please visit the Spec Pond Recreation Complex to see how your past six years of donations have been used toward creating a SPECtacular facility in our town! Last year donations presented to the Wilbraham Recreation Department were used to enhance two new areas at the Spec Pond Recreation Complex.
- Donations that were made in memory of Amy Lord to the Friends of Mike Farrell and the Christopher J. Burnham Memorial Fund were used as part of the new Spray Park in her memory… “Amy’s Sparkle Park”.
- The donations made in memory of Amico “Chip” Barone, along with our 2014 Hike for Mike fundraising efforts, are going toward a new batting tunnel at Farrell Field. In July, Janet Farrell, Nick and Leslie Barone presented Rec. Director Bryan Litz with a check for $7,500!
More about the 2015 fundraiser:
It’s hard to believe it’s been almost 7 years since Mike’s passing. Besides being a devoted family man, a successful local businessman, mentor, and professor, he was also a sincerely generous man. The community has mirrored his generosity through the Hike for Mike Fundraising Campaigns for the last 6 years. Though our fundraising method has changed this year, our mission has not. With your participation, we can continue our goals to:
• Award the Michael J. Farrell Memorial Baseball Scholarship at Minnechaug Regional High School
• Sponsor team uniforms in the Rec baseball league
• Support the Michael J. Farrell Field and the new batting tunnel at the Spec Pond Recreational Complex
• Continue to support the Michael J. Farrell Memorial Educational Fund
With your help over the last 7 years, The
Friends of Mike Farrell have
been able to establish a memorial to “Coach Mike”, perpetuating his baseball
legacy to the next generation of ball players. The Michael J. Farrell Field,
named in his honor, has become a gem in the Spec Pond Recreation Complex behind
Post Office Park in Wilbraham. With your sustained help and generosity, we are
hoping to continue and expand our fundraising efforts to achieve our goals. As part of this year’s Hike for Mike Fundraising Campaign, there will be a raffle and two
winners will be selected to receive 4 tickets to future Red Sox games! Click the links at the top of the page to get involved and help us keep Mike's legacy alive!
As many of you know, Mike Farrell passed away on August 31, 2008 at the age of 52. Mike was a successful businessman, college professor, husband, father, great friend, and generous man. Whether you knew him or not, one thing you should know about Mike Farrell is that he loved BASEBALL! His passion was baseball! He played and coached little league, high school, college, Legion and Tri-County. His goal was to create for the town of Wilbraham and later, Hampden, a solid core of ball players who would continue to play the game he loved from youth, high school, college, and beyond.
Thank you to EVERYONE who helped make the 2014 fundraiser a success!
And congratulations to our Red Sox raffle winners...
Leslie Barone &
And for those of you that didn't see our update on page 11 of The Hampden-Wilbraham Times this August,
you can read it here!
(just click the article to see it enlarged)